An Evening of Spanish Music, the second in the Light on the Hill concert series, will take place in the FUPC Sanctuary at 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 30, 2023. The concert is free and the public is invited.
Pedro Rubio, clarinet, and Ana Benavides, piano, have been performing together since 1991. Rubio was educated at the Royal College of Music in London and the Rotterdam Conservatory. Benavides studied at the Conservatories in Málaga, Granada, Madrid and Vienna. She holds degrees from the Royal College of Music in London and Universidad Carlos III in Madrid.
The duo frequently perform at clarinet festivals and at venues around the world. They have recorded six albums and Benavides has written several books on piano music in Spain. Currently, Mr. Rubio and Ms. Benavides are Visiting Scholars of the University of California, Riverside.
Enjoy their music on YouTube.
- Primer solo original (1856) Antonio Romero (1815-1886)
- Meditación (1925) Josep Ma Ruera (1900-1988)
- Adiós a la Alhambra (1855) Jesús de Monasterio (1836-1903)
- Concurso de clarinete (1918) Arturo Saco del Valle (1869-1932)
- Concertino op. 22 (1897) Percy Pitt (1869-1932)
- Adagio lamentoso (1899) William Y. Hurlstone (1876-1906)
- Lorito-Capricho (1898) Francisco Gómez (1866-1938)