Sanctuary Renovation Proposal
Identified Needs, Sanctuary Area Renovation
- Ensure the previously installed hearing loop system is working properly and serving the hard of hearing.
- Modify walls behind the chancel area to allow unobtrusive and reverent projection of images that enhance Presbyterian worship in a growingly visual culture.
- Reorient doors into Sanctuary to line up with aisles and allow for smoother traffic flow.
2. Gathering Space
- Expand to allow for welcoming, conversations, relationship building, and informational booths and tables for church activities and signups
- Warmer, more inviting and open. Indoor and covered outdoor space.
- Bathrooms capable of handling the needs of the sanctuary seating capacity.
- Refreshment area to allow for warm hospitality.
- Extend coverings to driveway, Witherspoon building, and choir room/small worship space to allow all-weather access.
- Entrance doors to be handicap accessible.
- Additional fire exits to conform to code.
- Kiosk(s) for information and refreshments.
3. Choir Room and Outside Patio
- Windows leak and the room is too bright in the morning
- Floor is damaged
- Space for bell and music storage
- Beautification of courtyard into useful outdoor area
- Ability to use the room and adjacent outdoor patio for for smaller, informal worship services
- Water fountain
- Office for choir director
Click on the PDF file below to see artistic renderings and schematics for some of the ideas under consideration for renovation of the sanctuary area, which was originally constructed in 1970. The chancel area (front of the sanctuary) was substantially renovated in the 1990’s and the organ has been updated twice, but the rest of the building (entryway, restroom capacity, choir area, patio outside choir room) design and construction have not been updated in the past 45 years, and some features do not meet current safety codes.
If you were not able to be present at the November 20, 2016 Congregational Meeting, please use the following feedback form to share your input with the Session prior to December 1.